This article was posted on the History of Rainhill Only by Steve O’Neil
In March 1920, a public meeting held in Rainhill National School to discuss the creation of a Recreation Club and the purchase of a ground. It was explained that during the winter months a committee representing the village football, cricket and tennis clubs had enquired for land suitable for a recreational ground.
Their efforts had all been in vain until the previous week when a Mr P. Wright offered them five acres of land behind Market Street. This he would sell at the price he’d paid and Mr Wright also offered to lay down grass seed and allow a cricket pitch to be immediately sowed. The meeting unanimously agreed to accept his offer.
The bowling green had obviously not been thought of in 1920 although this looks like it was the start of the Recreation Club.